Sleep apnea is the process in which you suffer from sleep-related breathing problems during your nighttime resting phases. It can be caused by obstructions in your airway, called obstructive sleep apnea, or blocked signals in your brain, called central sleep apnea.
Listed below are the basics of sleep apnea:
– Various genetic penchants can increase your risk for sleep apnea, including an enlarged tongue, oversized tonsils, or even a small-sized jaw relative to your mouth.
– Genetics can play a gigantic role in the presence or development of sleep apnea, especially if you have an abundant family history of it.
– Customary disorders such as allergies and sinus problems can contribute to the presence of sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea is very common in individuals who suffer from a deviated septum and other similar forms of nasal blockage or obstructions.
– Individuals over the age of 40 are at a greater risk for sleep apnea.
– Males are often at the peak risk for sleep apnea.
Dr. Paul Downing and Dr. Julian Gapud along with the rest of our team at White Knoll Comprehensive Dentistry will help you with your oral health care in any way we can, including helping to treat sleep apnea and its causes. If you would like to schedule a visit to our dentist office in Lexington, South Carolina, please call us at 803-785-9991. We look forward to hearing from you soon!